Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the University has imposed Severe Research Restrictions, which has caused most laboratories on campus to close. We do not know when those restrictions will be lifted so this could affect ASPIRE research planned for this summer. For these reasons, the following policy is adopted for Summer 2020 ASPIRE applications, awards, and projects:
- All awards will be made contingent as follows. If your project work can be done remotely and does not require you to be on campus, and your mentor certifies this in an email to ASPIRE, an awarded ASPIRE project can proceed normally, with a June 1 project start and an August 21 final report due date. If your project work will require the use of a campus laboratory, an ASPIRE payment cannot be made unless Severe Research Restrictions have been lifted AND the required campus laboratory is fully operational by June 15. Final reports will be due August 21.
- All applications must be submitted electronically by email to Joseph Naft, email@example.com. For best consideration, applications must be received by 4 p.m. on April 17, 2020. Awards will be announced on April 27.
To find a project, students may approach engineering faculty whose research is of interest to the student. Faculty research interests can be found through the engineering departmental web sites. The faculty member will determine whether any of his/her research projects would offer an appropriate role for the student. Once the faculty mentor and the student have agreed on a project, then application process can begin.
To apply, students and mentors must complete the two ASPIRE application forms, available below.
The application MUST include:
- the ASPIRE student application form
- the ASPIRE Project Description form (to be completed by the faculty or staff mentor).
- a student resume (including honors, awards, publications, etc.)
For best consideration for Spring 2020, the application is due at Mtech by 4:00 PM on February 10, 2020. Spring awards will be announced on February 20. For best consideration for Summer 2020, the application is due at Mtech by 4:00 PM on April 17, 2020. Summer awards will be announced on April 27, 2020. Students may contact any Clark School of Engineering faculty or staff directly to arrange a project application.